Friday, September 6, 2013

My immediate concern for the protection of human rights defenders, journalists and communities I met during my visit from any reprisal, intimidation or attack - Navi Pillay


Pillay in Sri Lanka 
Human Rights Council 24th Session:
I am grateful to the Government of Sri Lanka for facilitating my recent comprehensive visit, which allowed me to assess the progress being made towards reconstruction, reconciliation and accountability in the aftermath of the war - as well as the broader human rights situation, including religious intolerance, governance and the rule of law. I will be reporting on my observations later in the session, but wish to stress my immediate concern for the protection of human rights defenders, journalists and communities I met during my visit from any reprisal, intimidation or attack.

- From th e opening Statement by  Ms. Navi Pillay   United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights to be delivered on 9th September 2013